12.4.21

MEG Maximus


Hi All

After almost 2 months I had another game of MEG Maximus

My Later Carthage vs Later Crusaders

My army had

3x6 African spearmen

2x3 Elephants

3x6 Galatians Foot

1x6 Galatian Cav

2x6 Numidian light cav

3x6 Greek Hoplites (Ally)

1x4 Greek Cav (Ally)

My enemy came with

3x6 Sup Knights

1x4 Average Knights

4x6 Mix foot

2x6 Turkopolous (flex cav)

1x6 bowmen

 

We both went for an open battlefield with not much terrain.

I set up my foot in a line with the Galatians in some crops, while I kept the elephants in reserve to see where to use them. My Numidian’s and Galatian cav were in my open flank.

My opponent set his mix foot in the center, his knights on my left and his turkopolous on my right.

Turn 1  

I was attacker and started by moving my foot (advance with shift) so as to make room for the elephants to pass. My Numidian’s and Galatians moved up as to exchange shoots with the Turkopolous. My enemy also moved his mixed foot up as to start shooting at me while some knights maneuvered to avoid the elephants.

 Turn 2

We both moved our forces and we were set for charges and shooting in round 3

Turn 3

We started with my elephants charging 6 sup knights (first time Iv used the elephants) while my opponent charged with 6 knights on the Galatian foot.

Needless to say the elephants wreaked havoc on the knights (I think 2,5 kills in the charge), the enemy knights against my foot were doing much better.

In the shooting the Numidian’s and Tuyrkopolous exchanged shooting (with the Numidian’s doing much better).

On another note the mixed foot managed to get a wound on every Tug the shoot at (even vs Hoplites with shield cover).

The Melee saw the knights destroyed by the elephants, while the Galatian foot was barely holding.



Turn 4

I charged the full length of the battle line.

The mix foot with the shoots caused some hits on my groups but I made it in.

The elephants after destroying the knights and the pursue move charged a second Tug of knights (I had only two elephants left in the Tug).

Again the elephants in the charge made many hits on the knights. My foot vs the mixed foot were not making much of a dent in the charge.

The Numidian’s on the other had had caused the Turkopolous many hits and were close to winging the shooting contest.

In the movement that followed the charge (my opponent had only 2-3 units not engaged in combat) I move some units around as to get in position for some flank charges.

The melee saw the Galatian foot Tug brake and the knights hitting a second group of Galatians. The Elephants destroyed the second group of Knights the met (the 2 elephants had taken a wound). While the battle lines were not doing much damage to each other (not fast enough)


Turn 5

The elephants (2 of them with a wound) were in range to charge the Tug of bowmen guarding the camp and I charged in, the shooting caused the one wound needed for the Tug to brake and I lost the first of my elephant Tugs (They had destroyed 2x6 Sup knights) destroyed by shooting from.

In the rest of the turn I managed to kill of the Turkopolous with shooting.

The knights destroyed my second group of Galatians

I managed to kill of 2 Tugs of mixed foot.

At that point my opponents army was destroyed.

 

A grate game after 2 months of no maximus.

My opponent was a great.

The match up (elephants vs knights) was not very good for the crusaders by they managed to kill of 3-4 of my Tugs in the game (not bad)

I was a bit reckless with the use of the elephants (charging them with no support) but it was my first time using them. 

2 comments:

Rino said...

Hi, very nice report.
Facing a long spear éléphant army with charging lancer is a real challenge.
I noted you had a lot of units. How many points for that game (it looks far more than the usual 10k)

Fasoulasj said...

Rino we play at 10000 pts