28.9.21

MEG Maximus (LNS vs French Ordonnance)

Hi All

Even though I wanted I could not make it to the LGT to play MEG.

So I had a game of MEG Maximus with a good friend.

My Later Northern Song vs French Ordonnance.

My opponent had 4 units of 6 superior knights that could dismount if needed, he also had about 5 units of archers (4 units Longbow with stakes)

I had my usual mix of foot with some cavalry and artillery.

He won the PBS roll and I won the scouting.

I put my cavalry on my left (in some bad going) and then my infantry. My opponent had all his foot on my right while most of his cavalry (knights) was on my left.

Turn 1

I used the more cards I had to make my opponent move first. Then I double move my cavalry as to threaten the exposed side of the knights.

Turn 2

We had some shooting with only minor wounds.

Again I used my cards to make the opponent move first and then I moved my units in the positions I wanted. One of my cavalry was in place for a flank charge by now

Turn 3


I charged in with my cavalry while 2 units of my opponent’s knights charged into my infantry line. I actually caused some wound with my shooting (black dice).

The battle that followed was in favor of the knights but it was a slow process.

The rest of the armies shoot at each other with little effect.
In the maneuvering phase I moved units into position to be able to charge the side of the knights that were fighting the infantry.

My cavalry broke off from the battle with the knights

Turn 4

I charged the side of the knights fighting my infantry just in time as I was close to breaking.

The shooting again was not very good but one enemy unit was taking some wounds.

In the battles that followed 1 unit of knights broke from the flank charge, and the second knight was about to break as well.

Turn 5

The enemy knights in the far right charged my cavalry (which stood to fight).

While I concentrated my shooting on enemy foot units one wound from breaking

By the end of the shooting and fighting of round 5 I had lost 2 units of cavalry while my enemy had lost a further 4 units (2 foot and 2 knights).

With him loosing 5 units his army broke and I won the game.

The knights with the armored horses proved a formidable opponent and had my friend protected their flanks they would have surly broke through my foot.

The Longbow men with stakes is another very good option although it makes no difference vs the Song which are foot shooty heavy as well.

I have actually made a later 100Y war English army (5 units of longbow men) and will start to test them out shortly   

No comments: