1.6.21

MEG Maximus

 

Hi All

Had another game of MEG Maximus on Sunday

My Later Northern Song faced off against Medieval Scottish

 I used Lots of mix tugs (PA/Crossbow), 2 tugs Cavalry with bow, and a sug of artillery

My opponent had a very large army (13 Tugs most of them with 9 bases each)

I won both in the PBS (7 cards for me vs 5 for the Scots) and Scouting



I opted for minimal terrain on the table as I was more maneuverable.

The enemy set up with a line of Long spearmen Tugs in the middle, 2 tugs of longbow men on my left and the ally on my right
I places my foot in a line opposite to his and my cavalry on my right the artillery (bolt throwers) was behind my foot as to take shoots.

Turn 1

The enemy started by moving his line forward as much as possible I countered by moving my foot as to be within firing range. On my right the ally moved out of the terrain as to cover the advance on the middle but this exposed him to my cavalry which I moved as to be in firing range.

Turn 2

No charges (only the allied loose foot could charge my cavalry).

I started shooting (35 white dice per turnJ) and some casualties were taken.

 My opponent moved his foot all along the center which I countered by falling back all along the center (having 1 talented + 3 competent professional commanders helps). The same happened with my cavalry.

Turn 3

No charged again (my opponent wanted to charge but we were at 2+ BW and he did not have good cards for the prompt through fire)
I started shooting again (35 more white dice) and more loses of bases from my opponent.

He moved forward again and I fell back again (having the professional CinC give 1 card to the other generals when needed helped me I the battle).


I managed to maneuver one of my cavalry tugs to get behind his line of long spears.

He actually started having problems with his cards as it was draining them with the prompt through fire.

Turn 4

I charged with my cavalry in to the rear of the spearmen, the enemy Loose foot charged my cavalry in the open and 3 tugs of long spears charged my battle line (in various places) contacting some tugs.
My shooting to receive chargers was average (S=W for the crossbowmen).
The cavalry which charged into a battered tug decimated it.  
My foot performed averagely in the impact (green vs green)

After impact the rest of my army shoot at whatever it could and then fell back in the middle (only unengaged units).

The melee that followed saw 3 more enemy tugs brake (they had taken 2-3 base loses from the shooting prior to cc).

The loose foot fighting cavalry in the open held their ground (to my amazement)

Turn 5

My enemy having lost 4 tugs and having taken base loses in my tugs from the shooting my opponent surrendered.

 

We had a very nice talk afterwards and it was my opinion that the fact that he did not have many command cards cost him the game if you add the fact that the generals were instinctive it got to a point that the longbow men did not move after turn 1 and his battle line got fragmented from the loss of movement from the shooting that could not be recovered.        

No comments: